Sunday 3 August 2008

I Hae Gi’en Myself to Jesus


Provided by: Anne Smyth, Ulster-Scots Language Society
Source: “Songs of the King’s Highway” by David J Beattie
Date: Unknown
Tune: Annie Laurie

............

I hae gi'en myself to Jesus, far frae Him I canna bide
For I lang to ken Him better, and would never leave His side
And would never leave His side, for He’s ev'rything to me
I hae gi'en myself to Jesus, He is ev'rything to me.

I hae gi'en my voice to Jesus, warldly sangs nae mair I’ll sing
Wi' my new-tuned he'rt I’ll only seek to glorify my King
Seek to glorify my King, for He’s ev'rything to me
I hae gi'en my voice to Jesus, He is ev'rything to me.

I hae gi'en my love to Jesus, and my he'rt will faithfu' be
I can ne’er forget or slight Him, since His airms are aye 'roon me
Since His airms are aye 'roon me, for He’s ev'rything to me
I hae gi'en my love to Jesus, He is ev'rything to me

I hae gi'en my days to Jesus, while this warld I travel thro'
And tho’ frien's may disappoint me, weel I ken He’ll aye be true
Weel I ken He’ll aye be true, for He’s ev'rything to me
I hae gi'en my days to Jesus, He is ev'rything to me.

I hae gi'en my all to Jesus, nought can I my Lord deny
Time and talent, soul and body, noo upon the altar lie
Noo upon the altar lie, for He’s ev'rything to me
I hae gi'en my all to Jesus, for He’s ev'rything to me